Project Title: Police Engagement Approach for Countering Extremism (PEACE) in Bangladesh
Project Goal: To empowering law enforcement agencies to carry out Counter Terrorism (CT) efforts that effectively engage citizens in awareness raising, information sharing, and prevention initiatives.
- Develop proactive community policing strategies for relevant law enforcement officials in Chittagong, Rajshahi, and Sylhet.
- Draft, validate, and assist with the institutionalization of SOPs and implementing guidelines associated with each community policing strategy.
- Design and deliver training and technical assistance to relevant law enforcement and CT stakeholders on developed community policing strategies and good practices.
- Develop a methodical and data-driven approach to assess beneficiaries’ abilities to successfully apply good practices and knowledge gained.
- Improve citizen engagement on CT through promotion of intelligence-led community policing activities; Community Policing Forum (CPF) mobilization, Citizen Training & Refreshers Citizen Training
- Enhance information gathering and sharing across police and GoB agencies working on CT
- Support the police to engage community leaders and members in raising public awareness on CT Workshop “Ask your local police” and Public Panel Discussion with Police and Community
- Sensitize local leaders and citizens to promote CT based on the new institutional directives and guidelines
Seven Thana (including six under SMP: Jalalabad, Airport, Shaporan, Kotowali, South Surma and Moglabazar, and 01 under SP: Jaintapur) of 03 Upazilas (Sylhet Sadar, South Surma and Jaintapur) of Sylhet District.
01 December 2019 to 31 May 2022
Donor: The Asia Foundation (TAF)